Thursday, July 16, 2015

a peek into my classroom...

OH EM GEE. 

Today was a busy day. I attend orientation, filled out a bunch of paperwork (blah), and met some news friends! I was also able to stop by my classroom. When you first approach the door, here's what it looks like...


I know. I have a lot of work to do {haha!}. There is so much furniture. I have no idea where the last teacher put it all (since the room is so small). 


Here is the bulletin board you see on the left when you first walk in. I'm thinking I might make this my "Classroom Norms" board with Class Dojo info, classroom & school rules etc. What do you think? 


Here's a little bit of a closer look inside.


And...my white board. Just hanging out in the back of the classroom, with two long bookshelves, and two tables. I think I'll put my math alphabet above the white board, along with a number line. I'd also like to post my daily schedule on the far right of the white board.

I still need to figure out where I can put my "Calm Corner" and reading chair and bean bags.
This is the chair I'm talking about...
I might end up putting it to the left when you first walk in, that way, if I have kiddos who need to take a break from their regular ed class, they can just come right in and sit down and journal write {for a couple minutes}, without disrupting my small group too much. Good idea?

I would love to have one of the tables be my "writing center" and the other one be used as an individual work/calm space - maybe use a desk divider like this teacher did...
(a special sparkle)

Obviously, I think I will use the horseshoe for most of my instruction at the front of the class. My desk is hidden in the back (lol). It'll probably stay there.

Dividing the rooms with bookshelves seems like a no-brainer, but I wonder how it will fit. Hmmm. Here's what I mean...

(the school supply addict)

Phew. There's definitely a lot to figure out, but I won't overwhelm myself with thinking about it too much. :) 

Feel free to share your classroom layout with me and provide some advice/guidance!! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! There is a lot packed into that room, it seems:-) I just love a new room: so much potential!! I love your idea of having a calm area in a space that won't be distracting for your small group:-) My only thought about it being near the door (and this might not pertain AT ALL because I don't know your future students) but if you have someone who is inclined to run when they are stressed, it might be beneficial to have them calm further from the door. Again, take that for what it's worth as far as your situation goes...just speaking from my own runner experiences! ;-)
    LoveSpEdTeaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOUR new room! That's awesome! I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

    ReplyDelete